Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do i do now that I'm hosting a Web Server?
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
What do i do now that I'm hosting a Web Server?
I recently acquired some old computers, and set up Ubuntu 10.10 server edition on one, running a LAMP server. Right now I'm using Apache to share files, however it is not quite what I want.

What I am hoping to get going is be able to stream files off the server, like how the computers are set up in my old high school. The closest thing I can think of is similar to the Windows Cloud commercials.

Anyway, my question is: Now that I have a working web server, what do i do with it? Does anyone have any tutorials that would help me?

Web Designers Directory | Advertise Web Design Business | Website Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
RE: What do i do now that I'm hosting a Web Server?
You can actually host your own DNS servers - even if I'm not sure that's a very good idea cause it's a real full time job...

In that way, you won't have to pay anyone. Also, while it's highly recommended that you have two DNS servers, for fault tolerance, it's not a requirement.

My best advice would be that you can use the Windows DNS server to do so, and you can even host the DNS server on the same machine as the Web server. All you need to do thiis is forwarding DNS connections to the IP address of your Web server on your private network.

In your domain configuration, you'll ask to point to the IP address on the public interface of your router for your DNS server.

Also, you can have a look here, this might help (a lot): http://quick-help.net/Host-Own-Domain

Don't hesitate to write another post if you have some more problems with this DNS stuff.

Hair Transplant
08-13-2011, 07:45 PM
It depends on what you want ... Find what you want to do with this and if you google it you will find plenty of nice tutorials

Pakistan's Local Search Engine | Yellow Pages of Pakistan
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
this is very good stuff its informative for me

Swing set| Swing sets| Swing set Australia|