Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Web Site that uses videeo tools and file sharing
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Web Site that uses videeo tools and file sharing
I am helping with building a website that I think is going to require a lot more then what it is currently running on. At the moment it's running on a shared VPS but we are going to be offering our visitors up to 200GB of storage with unlimited usage of our Video Tools. We have been building the site on a shared VPS but are looking to move it to it's own dedicated VPS over the next couple days. I just logged into the new VPS and saw that it currently has 80 GB of storage. Yes it's instantly scalable but by how much? And is a VPS even a good decision if we plan to rapidly grow and expand with 100s of users after we launch and would like to have 1000s of users down the road. I feel like our "CTO" may be dropping the ball so I'm seeking outside advice make sure he's doing the right thing by transferring us to a dedicated server. A good friend of mine mentioned Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and I've heard Amazon's S3 may be a good solution as well.

The main tool that will be utilizing storage space is our FileRun installation and the main tools that will be utilizing bandwidth are the Video Whisperer tools. There is a video recorder, video chat, video conference and live streaming. We are using a rented Red5 at the moment but understand that we may need to upgrade to a faster server to support the bandwidth.

Web Designers Directory | Advertise Web Design Business | Website Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
RE: Web Site that uses videeo tools and file sharing
File sharing is the practice of distributing or providing access to digitally stored information, such as computer programs, multimedia (audio, images, and video), documents, or electronic books. It may be implemented through a variety of ways. Storage, transmission, and distribution models are common methods of file sharing that incorporate manual sharing using removable media, centralized computer file server installations on computer networks, World Wide Web-based hyperlinked documents, and the use of distributed peer-to-peer networking (see peer-to-peer file sharing).

Hair Transplant
08-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Video Whisper support Red5 (is great for starting out with as it's cheaper) but it's not going to last. They also support Wowza (like was is used for Justin TV)...

As I do more research, I feel like I'm going to need a couple servers to host this site: Video and then mass storage...

Pakistan's Local Search Engine | Yellow Pages of Pakistan
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
You definitely need to go dedicated as VPS will no longer do the job once you expand as you plan to do now. You can also consider separate streaming server for VideoWhisper.

Hair Transplant
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
File Sharing is the practice of providing access to digitally stored information as computer programs, multimediadocuments, or electronic books. It may be implemented through a variety of ways.

website hosting | web hosting india | Hosting Server